Press & Praise
I’m a regular contributor to these sites:
- KQED’s Bay Area Bites: I write about local food-related news, events, and people for this site. Find my posts at Bay Area Bites and also on Lettuce Eat Kale.
- Berkeleyside: Every Friday I post a Q&A with a well-known, up-and-coming, or under-the-radar food aficionado. Find my profiles on Berkeleyside and Lettuce Eat Kale.
- Civil Eats: I cover the intersection between food culture and food policy for this national food and farming site. Find my posts on Civil Eats and also on Lettuce Eat Kale.
Here are some highlights from the Lettuce Eat Kale files:
1. 2010 James Patrick McDermott Scholarship for Social Change through Food Writing from The Symposium for Professional Food Writers for these two stories:
- The Lemon Lady: Feeding the Hungry One Bag of Produce at a Time, October 28, 2009 (also on Civil Eats)
- Operation Frontline: Teaching the Needy to Cook, June 22, 2010 (also on Berkeleyside and Civil Eats)
2. New York Times Diner’s Journal Blog “What We’re Reading”:
- Berkeley’s School Lunch Program Flawed, Say Insiders, February 16, 2011 (also on Berkeleyside and Civil Eats)
3. Cultivating Controversy: In Defense of an Edible Education, January 18, 2010
4. Named one of the “Best of the Blogs” of the day by the Food News Journal:
- Berkeley Student Food Collective: Education & Eating, October 11, 2010 (also on Berkeleyside and Civil Eats)
- Berkeley’s School Food Study: A Victory for Alice Waters, September 24, 2010 (The Atlantic Food Channel)
- Ten Teens Rocking the Food Revolution Scene, July 9, 2010
- Operation Frontline: Teaching the Needy to Cook, June 23, 2010 (also on Berkeleyside and Civil Eats)
- Professionals by Day Pursue Culinary Arts by Night, March 15, 2010
- Warning: Food News Harms Your Child’s Health, November 12, 2009
- My Persimmon Problem, October 29, 2009
- Reassurance for Parents of Picky Eaters, September 28, 2009
- School’s in Session, Time for Lunch Lessons, September 9, 2009