August is THE birthday month in our house. And this is the time of year when my son celebrates his birthday with a group of kids he’s known since birth.
Some children may lament a summer birthday (all your buddies are on vacation, so party plans often get tabled until back-to-school time).
Here’s 12 reasons why a summer birthday rocks when you turn 12:
1. You can stay up, like, super late partying with your people on a Monday.
2. You celebrate on a week when you’ve been boogie boarding, kayaking, and hanging with your homies at the beach, instead of reading, writing, ‘rithmetic with fellow dudes at school.
4. Duh: You’re on summer holiday. Sleeping until 10, anybody?
5. .You show up with your David Bowie-Rod Stewart (pick your aging British rock star) hair, which comes naturally, and everyone admires how it stays in place.
6. You have big adventures like climbing Mount Lassen.
8. Your birthday falls in the same season when you cheer on your beloved Yankees from seats in front of the dugout (thanks Lance) as they cream the local team: A-Rod homers, Jeter is his usual unflappable self and Teixeira makes some amazing saves.
9. Your birthday falls in the same season you see Flight of the Conchords perform at the Greek Theatre (Dave, the opening act, is soooo inappropriate).
10. Your birthday falls in the same season you go to an exhibition soccer game, where Ronaldo, Kaka, and Ramos can work their magic, way after the World Cup ends.
11. Your friend Makayla and her mom Katherine make the most awesome birthday cake. Pound cake, chocolate ganache, raspberry filling, buttercream icing, and enough fondant to take the enamel of your teeth, no worries.
12. Since there’s no school the next day, you can deal with a post-birthday bash sugar hangover without getting harangued by a teacher.
[Group photo: Katherine Scholz, cake photo: Catherine Girardeau]